Are you ready for a no bake, flavor filled, gluten free, dairy free and vegan recipe?Well here you go! This isn’t a regular flan recipe, this is a creamy and delicious caramel flan recipe. Flan comes from all over the world in different recipes and tastes. This recipe is a take on the French version, crème caramel. In this recipe you won’t find milk, cream or eggs like the original French variation but you will find creamy and delicious in both 🙂
- ⅓ cup (70 g) sugar
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 2 cups (480 ml) canned coconut milk can shaken
- 3-4 tbsp (60-80 g) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (16 g) cornstarch
- ⅔ tsp agar powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- For the caramel, add sugar and water to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Once it starts boiling, turn down the heat, let simmer until it’s ark golden brown and thickens, then turn off the heat.
- Quickly pour the caramel into 4 small ramekins and spread the caramel around the bottom with a spoon or simply by tilting the ramekins. Set aside while you make the custard.
- For the custard, add coconut milk, maple syrup, cornstarch, agar powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt to a medium-sized saucepan and stir with a whisk.
- Once combined, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. As soon as it starts boiling, turn the heat to low and let simmer for 2 minutes to activate the agar, then remove from heat.
- Pour the custard into the 4 ramekins and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.
- To unmold the flan, gently slide a knife around the edges of each ramekin. Invert a platter on top of the ramekin and turn the ramekin and platter over (shake it carefully).
- Enjoy! Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
So how did it go? Haven’t tried it yet? Well, we have heard non-vegan friends and family approve of this recipe! So host a party or a dinner, you can treat your vegan and non-vegan friends to this impressive dessert.